Do's and Don't for Pastry Making
by Arnav Mathur
Working with pastry can be tricky and yet a satisfying experience.
These are certain steps to keep in mind while working with pastry.
1) Use flour. A light dusting on the pin will prevent it sticking and tearing.
2) Bake it blind. This means cooking the pastry bare. you can use baking beans yo help prevent shrinkage.
3) Let it rest. Pastry needs to rest for at least 30mins after kneading to hold its shape during cooking.
4) Cook your hands. Making sure your hands, kitchen utensils and ingredients are chilled will stop the fat getting greasy.
5) Use an egg wash. This will add glossy finish to pies and tarts for the professional touch.
Doing what to do helps but knowing what not to do makes all the difference.
1) Give up on rubbing in. The process of rubbing butter into flour is what gives pastry its unique flaky texture.
2) Melt the butter. It seems illogical but cold butter will help maintain a flaky texture.
3) Don't reheat from frozen. If you're keeping left overs, make sure it's fully defrosted before reheating.
These are somethings to keep in mind while making and storing pastry. The best place for desserts gives a lot of attention to detail.
Here are some of the best pastries you can order in Delhi!